November 23, 2011

Remember Who You Are

I am studying psychology and more and more I realize how I have been blessed to be raised with the standards and guidance of the gospel. Yesterday, while studying for exams, I reread research about how much we are affected by the things we observe, hear, do, etc. Despite our intentions, we are affected by all the things around us - good and bad. We, fortunately, are blessed with agency and discernment to choose how we will act, but we cannot pretend to do things that are against our standards and assume we'll not be influenced for the worst. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-days Saints has standards given to the youth to help live successful, happy lives. These standards have taught me to be cautious of the movies I watch, the music I listen to, the books I read. I know some things, like music, influence my mood a lot, which then affects how I act and treat others. Reading or watching movies doesn't seem to have as immediate of an affect, but as I continue to studying research on aggression and altruism, I am beginning to reflect on how I might be affected without realizing it.

I want to share this video to help promote good media that inspires faith, hope, and charity. From what I know spiritually and academically, we need these uplifting media to improve our lives. We cannot expect to become a Mother Teresa when we are playing Halo for hours each week. We can be as Christ as we read the scriptures, follow His counsel, lift one another, etc.

This is for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment